Wardy's long hair causes KX to bottom out

Saturday, April 28, 2012


I'm not sure where Jeff Ward was coming from in this shot, but it must have been high elevation to crush out the suspension on his KX. And what was notable to me was the long mane of black hair flowing from the back of Wardy's helmet. 

We all loved the long locks in those days.  I think it was a Marty Smith thing at first, but most anyone who was into the scene wanted that So-Cal longhair look. I can remember sitting in the back row of the lecture hall in community college, smoking cigarettes (yes, in class in those days) and reading Motocross Action magazine.  The prof may have been bringing me the best in U.S. history, but I was more concerned with the image of champions.

Great to see that we can still look back and chuckle a bit.  It was a wild time, but what I remember most is how great it felt to be track side when these out-of-my-league factory stars would line up and ride.

If someone can tell me what displacement this bike is, or the year, please post a comment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment