Kenny Roberts @ Houston Astrodome, circa 1979

Wednesday, January 11, 2012


Here's how it looked from the field at my first stadium race...the Houston Astrodome short track in 1979. There I was, watching some of the best road racers in the world make it happen on dirt.  Kenny Roberts was amazing to watch.  No, not 40 feet in the air, but you don't have to be above the clouds to demonstrate prowess on a motorcycle.

I can remember feeling like an alien; who were these guys - Roberts, Spencer, Parker, etc.?  I hadn't read about these racers in Dirt Bike!

That's where my editor Jack Mangus came in.  He forced me to look at the sport as a whole, to become educated, to understand where the competition and talent was in all forms of motorcycle racing.

That's one of the problems with our open-source media content today.  There's no editor like Mangus standing over your shoulder, making sure you have the facts and that the new makes sense.

It wasn't always easy working for Jack, but I learned.  A lot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment