Roxy Rockwood with Freddie Spencer and Eddie Lawson

Tuesday, January 3, 2012


As we scan through hundreds of negs, please humor me and allow a few things that aren't all things motocross.

Here's a shot from one of the hottest spots during Daytona Cycle Week in the early 1980's - Roxy Rockwood's radio show, held at the Hawaiian Inn.  Seated to the left of Rockwood is a young Freddie Spencer and to the right, Eddie Lawson.

One thing I'll always remember about my tenure at Cycle News is the direction and advice of the editor, Jack Mangus.  I was a total MX head and Jack wouldn't have it that way.  He taught that if you wanted to be a well-rounded moto-journalist, you needed to be informed about all forms of racing.

That's one of the reasons I went to Roxy's show and later covered dirt track, road racing, trials and drag racing.  It's part of being integrated into the industry as a whole.

0 comments:

Post a Comment