Freddie Ephrem was a cool AMA referee

Tuesday, July 3, 2012


I lost the top edge of this neg, must have been at the end of a roll...but nonetheless you get to see the image and why it matters...three important MX people are in the shot (left to right):

1) Freddie Ephrem was a great racing personality, former flat tracker and long-time AMA MX referee.  He loved each racer like his own child, but that said, he could give a rear-end chewing that made any rules-breaker take heed.  Freddie never lost his ear-to-ear grin.  He passed away in 1989.  Great dude.

2) Kent Howerton. Big name in the sport.  Gave Bob Hannah fits.  I am finding a bunch of frames with the Hannah/Howerton duel.  More to come.

3) Ben Cheatwood.  The eternal Honda rep who bleeds red.  Honda Ben.  This guy has been a PA announcer at over 1000 races (I made that number up, but it's a lot of announcing).  Good guy who helped me immensely during my Cycle News days and on occasion would drag my sorry behind to enduro events...even when I was riding a KLX 250.  Thanks Ben.

0 comments:

Post a Comment