Wisconsin is a hotbed of Retro MX

Wednesday, June 13, 2012


It's become evident that the world of Retro Motocross is a small, albeit friendly, universe.

Went to my hometown of Wausau, Wisconsin, to visit my parents.  Noted the next door neighbor had motocross ID on his vehicle and also saw an MX bike peeking out of the garage.  On this trip home, I made the connection and learned a ton.

Meet Lee and Justis Heckendorf.  This father-son duo is 100% full-on MX; Lee restores retro bikes, you can check out his business at www.onthepiperacing.com.  Justis is living the dream and is a top A rider in the region.

Wausau may be remote by National MX standards, but the passion within can come from all geographic locations.  What impressed me most about Justis was that he understands you have to know where you've been...before you know where you're going.  He respects the historical aspect of racing and holds David Bailey as his model of exemplary MX performance.

I many times feel removed from the sport, as if I'm a pilgrim traveling through a strange land of yesteryear. I learned through this trip home that folks like Lee and Justis create a portal to travel back in time, individuals who love to share and embellish tales of greats like Bailey, Hannah, O'Mara and many others.

He's a shout out for two great MX advocates who rep well for the sport.

0 comments:

Post a Comment